1. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/33000-people-die-every-year-due-infections-antibiotic-resistant-bacteria. Accessed 2021 June 4.
2. O’Neill J, et al. Antimicrobial Resistance: Tackling a Crisis for the Health and Wealth of Nations; The Review on Antimicrobial Resistance: London, UK, 2014.
3. Harris AM, Hicks LA, Qaseem A. Appropriate antibiotic use for acute respiratory tract infection in adults. Ann Intern Med. 2016;165(9):674.
4. O’Conner R, O’Doherty J, O’Regan A, et al. Antibiotic use for acute respiratory tract infections (ARTI) in primary care; what factors affect prescribing and why is it important? A narrative review. Ir J Med Sci. 2018;187:969-86.
5. Dekker ARJ, Verheij TJM, van der Velden AW. Inappropriate antibiotic prescription for respiratory tract indications: most prominent in adult patients. Fam Pract. 2015;32:401-7.
6. Shallcross L, Beckley N, Rait G, et al. Antibiotic prescribing frequency amongst patients in primary care: a cohort study using electronic health records. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017;72:1818-24.
7. Gulliford MC, Dregan A, Moore MV, et al. Continued high rates of antibiotic prescribing to adults with respiratory tract infection: survey of 568 UK general practices. BMJ Open. 2014;4:e006245.
8. Goossens H, Ferech M, Vander Stichele R, et al. ESAC Project Group. Outpatient antibiotic use in Europe and association with resistance: a cross-national database study. Lancet. 2005;357:579-87.
9. Costelloe C, Metcalfe C, Lovering A, et al. Affect of antibiotic prescribing in primary care on antimicrobial resistance in individual patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010;340:c2096.
10. Barnes MN, Cleveland C, Williams L. Reducing inappropriate antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory tract infections. U.S. Pharm. 2016;41(7):HS16-9.
11. Bisno AL. Acute pharyngitis: etiology and diagnosis. Pediatrics. 1996;97(6 pt 2):949-54.
12. Strauss RA. Treatment of postviral nonasthmatic cough with corticosteroids. J Allergy Clin Immunol: In Practice. 2013;1:404-6.
13. Rattinger GB, Mullins CD, Zuckerman IH, et al. A sustainable strategy to prevent misuse of antibiotics for acute respiratory infections. PLoS One. 2012;7(12):e51147.
14. Kenealy T, Arroll B. Antibiotics for the common cold and acute purulent rhinitis. Cochrane Data System Rev. 2013;6:CD000247.
15. Nordqvist C, Carter A. What to know about antibiotics. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/10278.php. Published January 2019. Accessed 2019 July 29.
16. Krutova M, Kinross P, Barbut F, et al. How to: Surveillance of Clostridium difficile infections. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2018;24(5):469-75.
17. Durovic A, Widmer AF, Tschudin-Sutter S. New insights into transmission of Clostridium difficile infection—narrative review. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2018;24(5):483-92.
18. Asensio A, Di Bella S, Lo Vecchio A, et al. The impact of Clostridium difficile infection on resource use and costs in hospitals in Spain and Italy: a matched cohort study. Int J Infect Dis. 2015;36:31-8.
19. Lumos Diagnostics internal data, 2019.